- Name Great Western Greenway
- Länge von Wanderweg 42 km, 26 Meilen
- Länge in Tagen 2 Tage
- Anfang von Wanderweg Westport
- Ende von Wanderweg Achill
- Traildino Schwierigkeit LW, einfache Wanderung, ländlicher Spaziergang
Great Western Greenway, Westport - Achill, 42 km, 2 days
Part of the former Westport Railway has been transformed into a comfortable and popular rail-trail Canadian style. For 42 km, cyclists and walkers can follow this easy track where once locomotives toiled along. This rail-trail is very scenic moreover. Located in county Mayo, it runs along the coast of Clew Bay, visits the towns of Newport and Mulranny, turns north to evade mount Cuillaloughaun and Mount Owenduff, and crosses to the island of Achill.The first part runs through rural country; the second part is wilder and runs through moorland and heathland.
The trail may be extended in the near future to reach Castlebar and Croagh Patrick.