- Name Western Way
- Länge von Wanderweg 179 km, 111 Meilen
- Länge in Tagen 7 Tage
- Anfang von Wanderweg Oughterard
- Ende von Wanderweg Ballycastle
- Traildino Schwierigkeit MW, Mittelschwere Wanderung mit Rucksack
- Schwierigkeitsgrad Berg- und Alpinwanderung T1, Wandern
Western Way, Oughterard - Ballycastle, 179 km, 7 days
Prepare for a real muddy experience, and this isn't even New Zealand. This trail explores some of the bleakest and most midge infested areas of Ireland, the west. This is the unhappy scene of the 19th century, when thousands of poor peasants died from famine, followed by an emigration wave that depopulated the area.
The Western Way starts on the shores of Lough Corrib, climbs a windy pass, descends to Killary Harbour - a pretty fjord like sea inlet. Follows a more populated area. Further north, the path enters a true wilderness area, mountains dominate the horizon, wind farms beyond, bog beneath your feet. At places, The path has been reinforced with planks. You will cross vast areas of conifer plantations. If you want a B&B for sleep, you probably have to arrange a pick up in this area.